Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad

Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad pg. 167
Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad
Have you had the chance to see any of Kris Carr and Chef Chad Sarno's cooking classes online?  I was reminded on Facebook that these classes are available at http://kriscarr.com/cooking-classes/. I totally forgot about them.  I watched a few when CSK first came out, but I think I have been so busy  cooking that I just forgot to watch.  I watched two of the of the classes today.  They were each about about 10 minutes long.  First off, I forgot how funny Kris Carr is.  The woman is so goofy in a totally cool way.   Chef Sarno shows off his mad chopping skills, and reminds me that I will never be that natural in the kitchen. 

One of the classes is dedicated to grains.  So I took what I learned in that video today and used it to help me perfect my quinoa cooking skills.   Quinoa is really high in protein, and is highly alkaline as well.  Go quinoa! I started this recipe by toasting the quinoa in my pan for a little bit being careful not to burn it.  Then, instead of using water to cook the quinoa I used vegetable stock.  I threw in a chopped up garlic clove as well.  All this was directly inspired from the cooking class.  After that I  just followed the Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad recipe from CSK.
The quinoa being cooked in the veggie stock and garlic tasted awesome before anything else was mixed in.  Adding in the other ingredients was just a bonus.  Take advantage of the cooking classes.  They gave me simple tips I was able to apply to this recipe to make it that much better.  This one is good hot or cold.  It's easy peasy! 



4 comments:

  1. I was not able to watch the cooking classes. I'm hoping they will be made available for everyone at a later date.

    This is one recipe I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You plug in your order number from the purchase of your cookbook, and Kriscarr.com will send you a link. I hope that helps. The quinoa was excellent:) Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So impressed with your project! I found your blog through the VegCookbook Club. It's cool to read about your experiences with the CSK cookbook and compare notes as we also cook from it this month. Good luck as you work your way through this great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! It has been fun. I am learning so much about cooking, photography, and me(among other things!). Glad U are enjoying it:)

    ReplyDelete